- I’m young enough to still want it, but old enough to know better.
- Many years in the Real World managing both myself and other people means I know how to meet deadlines, juggle priorities and ultimately deliver the goods (my current day job is ‘Delivery Manager’).
- I am immune to the pain of editing, having once been ordered by a publisher to reduce a 300,000 word manuscript down to a series of three books each compromising 50,000 words.
- I am polite, well-mannered and more than happy to agree with the people who hold the purse strings – artistic integrity counts for something, but without an appropriate budget there’s nothing.
- I am well-travelled and can boast of a wide, varied and vivid imagination to pour forth into more potential projects than I could ever have time to write, thus leading to the creation of many future products to sell.
- Having been through the grind of the Real World, I have learned the hard way that you get out of this life what you put into it, i.e. I do not have that same sense of entitlement as befits many of my younger peers or straight-outta-college kids.
- I can crack a joke without needing to swear or insinuate that someone is ‘sad’. I only swear when I need to, and I can happily take the piss out of myself.
- I realise that for products to be successful they often have to satisfy pre-existing markets. Yes, you can re-invent the wheel, but it helps if you already have a horse to pull your cart.
- To be a successful writer is a privilege and requires a certain amount of modesty. Yes, one has to make allowances for genius, but no one likes a big-headed gobshite (see – told you I know when to swear).
Any criticisms? I’m guilty of failing to push my work hard enough and succumbing to the following scenario:
One of the reasons this website exists is to address the above. For more information see The Logic Behind this Website.
And that’s probably enough for you to get an idea of the sort of dude I am, but if you really want to delve further into what makes James A. Gray tick, then please click here More About Me.